Walnut Country – The Crossings
When the Cowell Plant shut down, residents of the town were allowed to rent houses in Cowell between 1950-1959. In 1959, The Company sold the land to Newhall Land and Farming Company, who then sold it to the Larwin Company in 1969. Construction on Walnut Country began in 1972. The community has 1062 homes, a clubhouse, tennis courts, swimming pools, and a massive greenbelt.
The smokestack is not the only reminder of the town of Cowell. The old firehouse still stands, and is used for storage. It faces Prairie Willow Court, beside the West Pool of the Crossings.
When the old (Cowell) company houses were torn down, the Fire building remained. It was taken over by a Dentist for his practice. The newbys that were moving in were not too happy about the office and they wanted the building for everything except the Dentist. He eventually gave in but subsequently built the round office building on Cowell Rd. Without the current landscaping, the place was an eyesore and was purposely meant to antagonize the residents. — from Claycord